Monday 25 August 2014

The Future

Recent events have lead me a lot to think about life and my future.

#1 The Weddings

As most of you know, I attended two beautiful wedding (check out my facebook profile for the photos) of friends I've know for as long as I can remember. It was such a blessing to be a part of the special days and really see people come together to start a new life as one.

I've been known by a lot of people for being independent, and I've always considered this a good point. Unfortunately, I've also always considered being single a major part of this. After attending the weddings, I've realised, that being part of someone else's life, and letting them be a part of yours is not a bad thing if you are both compatible in what you how, and tolerate the other person. I've realised that having close relationships with people, whether it be friends/family/love interests does not necessarily have to directly impact your independence as a person.


#2 Friends

I was also fortunate enough to have my closest friend to make the 4 and a half hour journey each way to come and stay with me for the week (I'll blog about our adventures soon), despite me working over 8 hours a day! Between this lovely visit and spending some time catching up with what people are doing via social media, I've realised that you have to make the most of appreciating those around you.

I've touched on this topic so many times, but I feel now I've really made peace with it. I've had a lot of friends come and go in my life, and I've sometimes been bitter when they're no longer around...but I've realised that throughout life, everything is constantly changing. Often, day to day those changes aren't noticed, but when you look back at your life you see how much you've changed as a person. So we shouldn't be bitter when those we care about change so much that the relationship you had with them isn't the same.

I guess this comes under accepting people as they are. We often think of ourselves as growing up, and as we learn, we form our own ideas/beliefs about things. We become exactly who we want to be, but we often forget that everyone else is doing the exact same thing. Nothing in life is constant, especially people.

So, I've learnt to make the most of the time you have with those you connect with, because that connection may not last. It may, but you the future is not promised, and it definitely is not certain... enjoy spending time and making memories with those you care about, because in those moments where you find yourself alone, it's those memories that will keep you company. With this said, I'll soon be making a post with just a collage of photos that I look back on and smile at with a little comment for some!




#3 Parents

I think as we grow up (or even when you're fully grown adults), our parents can definitely get on our nerves more than most people... usually because they care and are the most constant people in our lives.

Since staying in North Wales, and my parents being on holiday in Europe or back in South Wales, I've realised how much I appreciate my parents in my life. As much as some days it gets annoying having to text everyday (sorry Mam, I know you'll be reading this), I would not choose to spend one day without my parents. I don't think I have ever realised how much they've done/still do for me... or even them as people. My Dad is my absolute hero, and my future husband (God willing) better take some lessons from him! My Mam is just always, always, always there and I don't think I could be loved more by anyone else in the world. No, I don't share every tiny detail of my life with them (sorry!), but they're definitely the two people I'm closest two, the first I call when things go wrong, and definitely the first I call when I have good news.

I don't think we can ever fully appreciate the value of our parents until we start to build our own lives. I could never imagine building my adult life without them!

(I'm working on making enough time for them and the rest of my family. I'm so bad at keeping in touch!)

My Future

I've never thought it wise to make a very definite choice, for a very uncertain life, but this is one decision I'm happy to make...

I will make my future one where the needs of those around me come before my own, where my family (especially my parents) know how much they mean to me, those closest are shown are great they are as people, where my free time will be filled with as much voluntary work as possible, but also one where I care for myself as much as those around me.

Live a life worth living, not a life less lived

No comments:

Post a Comment